- HA High Ambient Condenser: Oversized condenser for operating in ambient’s up to 110ºF.
- Water-Cooled Condenser: Eliminates heat dissipation to ambient. Supplied with condenser water-regulating valve for hookup to city (65ºF) or tower (85ºF) water.
- NRC Non-Refrigerated Cooler. Uses central chilled water or ambient air instead of refrigeration. Saves space and maintenance. Chilled water must be at least 10ºF (6ºC) colder than lowest desired coolant temperature (R & RO models).
- AR Remote Air-Cooled Condenser: Shipped separately from cooler. Eliminates heat dissipation to surrounding ambient. Remote installation by others.
- WP WeatherProof construction for outdoor installation. Takes the heat outside by mounting the complete cooler outdoors.
- CTC Digital Temperature Controller for close temperature control within ±0.5º of set-point. Large display indicates both set point and coolant temperature.
- ATC Ambient Tracking Controller. A dual-input, digital controller that allows the cooler to track the ambient (or machine bed) at a constant, adjustable differential. The controller displays both ambient and coolant temperatures.
- ATC/CTC Combination ATC and CTC Controller allows operator to quickly switch between ambient tracking mode (ATC) and set-point mode (CTC).
Piping & Evaporators
- PS Pure System for de-ionized water applications. Coolant only comes in contact with stainless steel or plastic. Evaporator is all stainless steel coil or nickel brazed stainless steel plates.
- NC Non-Copper for high-sulfur oils. Oil only comes in contact with stainless steel, steel, or iron. Evaporator is enhanced nickel brazed stainless steel plates.
- CEV Cleanable Evaporator has removable end plates for in-place cleaning without disturbing plumbing or refrigeration lines. Only available for use with water-based coolants.
- CHX Cleanable Heat Exchanger for use with oils or any coolant. The cooler recirculates water internally to a plate-type, water-to-oil heat exchanger that is easy to take apart and clean without disturbing plumbing connections.
- FS Low Flow Interlock. A flow switch is installed in-line and wired to the terminal strip for remote flow fault indication (R & RO Coolers).
- LL Low Coolant Level. A level switch is installed in the tank and wired to the terminal strip for remote low coolant level indication (R & DI Coolers).
- HT Temperature Fault. Contacts are provided to indicate that the coolant temperature is out of range.
- FSM Flow Switch/Meter is provided with a needle valve that permits visual flow rate adjustment and adjustable low flow interlock setting.
- LP Low Coolant Pressure Interlock. A pressure switch is installed in the discharge and wired to the terminal strip for remote low pump pressure indication.
- RF Refrigeration Fault. Contacts are provided to indicate that the refrigeration pressures are too high or too low.
- PO Pump On. Contacts are provided to indicate that the recirculating pump is on.
- RE Remote On/Off. Contacts are provided to permit the start/stop of the cooler from a remote location.
- RS Computer Interface. Temperature controllers are available with RS232 or RS485 computer ports.
Pumps & Accessories
- OP Optional Pump for any requirement. Pump oil- or water based coolants at desired flow and pressure(RO & R models only).
- ILF In-Line Filter. Suggested for installations with dirty or potentially dirty coolant to protect the evaporator from clogging. Supplied with a flow switch and a change filter warning light. A variety of filters and filter elements are available (available all models except DI).
- ILH In-Line Heater warms up coolant to optimum operating temperature to prevent cold starts or to provide closer temperature control.
- RC Rubber Casters available on all models for complete mobility.
- PG Pressure Gauge available for Discharge and/or Input.
- DT Dial Thermometer available for Discharge and/or Input.
- FM Flow Meter provides accurate indication of coolant flow (R & IL models).
Wiring & Safety
- LD Lever-Type Fused Disconnect installed on a NEMA-12 enclosure. Required by some electrical codes.
- MC Multi-pin Connector to quickly interface cooler with machine. Can be supplied for both power and interlock connections.
- JIC Automotive JIC Wiring. Coolers can be wired to meet specific automotive wiring specifications.
- IEC International Wiring. Coolers meet the standards of the International Electro technical Commission (IEC) for machine safety.
- CE Certificate of Compliance. Cooler to be provided with a CE tag and a Certificate of Compliance with CE Directives.
- N4 NEMA-4 Electrical Enclosure. Waterproof.
- OV Optional Voltages. Available on most models. Configures for almost any power supply, domestic or export.
- SP Special Paint Color. Match the cooler to your machinery.
- SS All Stainless Steel Cabinet.
- MOD Special Configuration. Special dimensions or component locations to fit the cooler into a particular space.
- CIR Multiple Circuits. Cool more than one circuit from each cooler. All models are available with multiple IN and OUT connections for balanced or unbalanced flow.
Self-Contained Recirculating Chillers
Closed-Loop coolers recirculate coolant from a tank mounted in the cooler, through a sealed coolant loop and heat load (spindle) and back to the tank. The tank, pump, and evaporator are all in the cooler.
Coolant is added to the tank through a filler/breather port. The coolant level is always visible in the tank level gauge. When the pump is energized, it draws coolant from the tank and pumps it through the coolant loop. The coolant absorbs heat from the heat load and then dissipates it in the evaporator before returning to the tank. The temperature controller senses the temperature of the coolant leaving the tank and controls the refrigeration effect in the evaporator to provide coolant at the desired discharge temperature.
Recirculate Fluid from a Remote Tank
Open-Loop coolers recirculate fluid from a remote tank, through the cooler and back to the tank. The cooler works to maintain a constant fluid temperature in the tank. The pump and evaporator are in the cooler. The tank is remote.
When the pump is energized it draws fluid from the remote tank and pumps it through the evaporator in the cooler and back to the tank. The temperature controller senses the temperature of the fluid entering the cooler and controls the refrigeration effect in the evaporator to provide the desired fluid temperature in the tank. The cooler should be installed as near as possible to the tank.
Pump Fluids Through the In-Line Cooler
In-Line coolers cool fluid that is passing through under pressure. Only the evaporator is in the cooler. Both the pump and tank are remote.
These coolers are often used in applications where it is advantageous to have the pump mounted on or near the tank to recirculate fluid through the cooler and back to the tank. This type of installation is necessary when the cooler is installed too far above or away from the tank to allow for the use of an Open-Loop cooler. The temperature controller senses the temperature of the fluid entering the cooler and cycles the refrigeration effect to maintain the desired fluid temperature in the tank.
Space-Saving Design to Cool Fluids in a Tank
Drop-In coolers are designed to be mounted on top of a tank to cool the fluid that is passing through it. The stainless steel immersion coil type evaporator is submerged into the fluid in the tank. A small agitation pump continuously moves the fluid around the evaporator coils ensuring proper heat transfer. The temperature controller senses the fluid temperature and controls the refrigeration effect to maintain the fluid in the tank at the desired temperature.
Drop-In coolers save floor space and are ideal for installation on tanks where the coolant is too dirty to pump through a heat exchanger. The cooler can readily be lifted out for tank cleaning or inspection.
Turmoil Cooler Features
- Heavy-Duty Construction. Coolers are designed for continuous industrial duty and dependable long life. Welded steel cabinet features lifting eyebolts and mounting skid. Panels are easily removable for complete access.
- High-Ambient Condensers. Oversized to run cool in hot, dirty environments. All condensers are protected with a cleanable aluminum air intake filter.
- Ozone-Friendly Refrigerants. Turmoil coolers use only approved, non-ozone-depleting refrigerants. HFC-134a refrigerant is standard on all models with up to 3 HP compressors and optional on all larger models. HCFC-22 refrigerant is standard on all models with 4 HP compressors or larger.
- Complete Temperature Control. Choice of analog or digital controllers available with options to hold coolant within ±0.5ºF (±0.25ºC) of set-point. Hot gas bypass unloading eliminates compressor short cycling.
- Super-Efficient Evaporators. For both oil- or water-based fluids. Brazed plate, immersion coil, or shell-and-tube design of stainless steel, copper, or steel construction depending on application. Tested for 350 PSI working pressure.
- Industrial-Duty Compressors. Lifetime lubricated, hermetic reciprocating compressors (up to 3 HP). Dependable scroll compressors (up to 10 HP). Serviceable semi-hermetic compressors (up to 30 HP).
- Continuous-Duty Pumps. Designed for use with the specific fluid being cooled and the application. Rotary gear pumps for oils. Centrifugal, turbine, and rotary vane pumps for water-based fluids.
- NEMA-12 Oil-Tight Electrical Enclosures. Standard on most models. All three-phase models are supplied with a lockable rotary disconnect switch on the enclosure door.
- Wiring and Safety Certifications. All wiring meets NEC standards. All components are UL or CSA approved. Coolers can be customized with certified components and electrical designs to meet the specifications of many internationally recognized standards.
- Serviceable Design and Available Components. Turmoil coolers are designed to be serviceable by qualified local refrigeration contractors. Only the highest quality, internationally available components are used.
- One-Year Warranty. All Turmoil coolers are covered by a limited one-year warranty. Five-year extended warranties on the compressor or complete cooler are also available. See Turmoil Warranty for details.